Set up the fertility plan
- Left-hand side, click Fertility Plan. Select the crop year. Give it a Report Title such as “20XX Fertility Plan”, or "20XX Plan (Rented land)".
- Pick Fields to add fields to the plan. If you are adding fields to an existing plan, you can click Sort by Fieldname so the plan is in order
- Click Edit Blends if there are blended products being applied. (creating custom fertilizer(s) in blends)
- Report Line 2 and Units for dry products are “lbs/ac" or "kg/ha”. Liquid products are “gal/ac”, “gal US/ac”, or "L/ha". NH3 is “lbs/ac” and “lbs/ac Actual N”, or "kg/ha".
- To add NH3 as a product, check off the Liquid box
- After you completed your blend you can select it, or a pre-populated blend from the list under Add/Remove Blends & Fertilizers. Once all the products being used are added, the basic structure of the fertility plan is set up.
Make VR Report(s) (Consultants Only)
Note: Separate product application passes must be done in separate reports. (Drill pass is one report, spreader pass in another)
- On the Farm’s main screen, double click on a field. On left-hand side, click VR Prescriptions.
- Click Add New > Add New Prescription. Click on the following year + Crop.
- Add to existing job? No.
- Use Default acres and maps? Yes (always click yes when asked this). You are now in the VR Report Editor page.
Note: Once you have created a prescription once, you can use the Add New > Copy as New function. This will copy all the information previously into a new report to save time with data input.
- Update yield goals: These yield goals are just targets based on soil properties and yield limitations in each zone, such as water holding capacity, salinity, or sodicity. They do not calculate the nutrient requirements. You can type in a yield goal for each zone manually, or use a template by clicking Yield Goals > Insert on top left-hand corner. If the next screen comes up blank, this means you need to click Yield Goals > Edit Standard Yield Goals for your company. Once you have added some standard yield goals, next time you click Insert, the list of generic goals you have added will show up.
- Update Layers: Each layer is a tank/compartment on the application unit. If a client is applying seed, a PK blend and Urea through a drill, that will be the names of the layers. Pay attention to which controller the unit uses and refer to Tips for building VR reports and the export instructions for the specific controller. Some controllers need to be set-up a certain way and have a specific order (e.g. X20).
- Select the Operation (Seed, Fertilizer, Blank or Inoculant)
- Select your product for that layer (This is pulled from the fertilizer list and your fertility plan)
- Update Controller name: This is for the Rx file writers, so they know what file type to make
- Update File name: Refer to File Naming for how to write the file name according to the controller being used. Make sure field name, crop type and year are updated.
- Update Notes section: Use this section to make notes on anything worth noting, such as a recent manure application, or general comments on soil properties or nutrient levels (e.g. "low P in zones 1-4).
- Finally, you can begin updating the fertilizer/seeding rates. Dry products and seed are written as lbs product/acre (or kg/ha). NH3 is written as lbs actual N/acre. Liquid products are written as US gal/ac (or L/ha).
- Once you have updated each zone’s rates, you need to update the fertility plan. Click on Update Fertility Plan. Always round up so the client doesn’t run out of fertilizer if they are using this plan to purchase product. If the average comes to 71.3, round up to 72. If the average comes to 71.5, round up again to 73.
- The VR Report is now complete. Exit out and go back to the farm’s main screen. On left-hand side, go to Variable Rate Maps Report. Click add and add any VR reports you just made. Include in the name something about the season and report type. For example, if you are creating fall banding reports for several fields, you may name it “Fall 2023 band”.
- Click Print to open the PDF version of the report. Save it in the appropriate folder. There should be a client folder structure created on your computer specific to SWAT RECORDS.
- Go to farm’s main screen, click Fertility Plan and click Print to open the pdf version of the report. Save it in the same folder as the VR Reports. Make sure you double check to make sure the rates all match, and the fertility plan makes sense.